Marchesi de Frescobaldi

Home/Wine/Marchesi de Frescobaldi

Marchesi de Frescobaldi

Next month, April, we will be featuring an Italian Wine of the Month here at West Vail Liquor Mart. Within the selection are a few wines from the Frescobaldi Family that has over 700 years in the wine industry.  The Frescobaldi’s history involving wine began around the year 1000 A.D. They actually were involved in banking, gaining them the name “Treasurers to the English Crown”.  Throughout history, members of the Frescobaldi family were involved in all parts of Italian culture; politics, music the arts etc. The winemaking actually started around 1300 when they became involved with a property Tenuta di Castiglione, southwest of Florence. The Family has always strived for excellence in their wines and had patrons such as Donatello, the Papal court as well as the court of Henry the 8th!

 

Their portfolio of wines now spans all across Italy and we will be focusing on a few wines from the Family, Nippozano Riserva and Castiglione Chianti.

 

Nippozano Reserva- This wine comes from the historic Nipozzano estate, the prize of the Frescobaldi family. This estate was the Ancient stronghold of Florence. This estate is east of Florence in the Chianti Rufina DOCG. The Nipozzano Reserva dates back to 1864 with the Family and is a benchmark for Chianti Rufina. This is a calcerous, stone vineyard with plantings of Sangiovese, Cabernet, Merlot, Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot. This particular wine is comprised of 90% Sangiovese and the other 10% is made up of Malvasia Nera, Colorino, Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon. It spends 24 months in Barriques and another 3 months in the bottle before release. This is such a great, balanced wine. Bright cherry notes accompanied by earthy flavors and well integrated tannins give this wine a lovely full bodied but soft texture.

 

Castiglione Chianti- The Castiglioni property is the original wine producing property in the Frescobaldi family. This winery is located southwest of Florence in the Val di Pesa. Rock and clay soils planted with Sangiovese, Cabernet, Cabernet Franc and Merlot make up the composition of the estate. This particular wine is made from 90% Sangiovese, 10% Merlot. This is a smooth medium to full body red with bright fruit and soft tannin accompanied by quite a lengthy finish. This is a great wine for the price, over 700 years of practice!

 

These are all great wines and just two of the wines that will be featured. They will all be offered for a discounted price all month long!

 

Come in and grab a bottle from this historic producer,

 

Enjoy,

 

Nick

Wine Buyer